Monday, October 01, 2007

Volunteers.















Last fall, I couldn't resist buying a few of those miniature pumpkins to use as a natural table decoration when some friends came over for dinner. After a few weeks in the warm indoor temperatures, they started getting mushy, and without a thought, I tossed them into the back yard compost pile.

This spring, I dug the rich, dark, freshly-made humus from the pile, and used it to mulch my flower garden. Compost serves many functions in a garden. It makes an excellent mulch--providing organic nutrients to plants, retaining soil moisture, discouraging erosion and enriching soil texture--to name a few of many benefits.

As the summer progressed I noticed what looked like a squash or zucchini vine growing in the garden. I decided to leave it, just for the fun of seeing what it turned out to be (if anything).

As it turns out, those little pumpkin seeds can be quite hardy--and I don't need to buy any little pumpkins for the table this year!

No comments: